You are currently browsing the monthly archive for May 2010.

These are the last blocks in the Around the World Quilting Bee for Dionne’s quilt. I have one more set to make for Jane (23) and that swap will be over. I have kept the blocks numbered in their original order. It was the way I could keep track of whose had been done. When I got the big batch just before Christmas it was the best way to prioritize the quilts.


Dionnne wanted us to make her a house/cottage for her quilt. I found this fun coffee quilting fabric and thought that she had to have a coffee house since we both live in the Seattle area. I love these stick figure kids. I picked the one with the dog because people around here bring their dogs everywhere. I am NOT talking about the service dogs either. These are just regular dogs in irregular places. Her son thought it looked like him and his dog, Jake. So this is Jake’s Java Joint.

The second block is another version of a farm block. With this one I painted the animals directly onto the fabric instead of a separate piece that I had to then stitch down. My applique skills are far from expert, so this method looked better in the end. I did stitch in the weathervane’s tail feathers!

Advertisements

This is what it looks like.

It has been weird weather and crazy schedules around here. The morning I took this it was sunny and beautiful, within an hour it was dumping rain but still warmish, by 2:30 it was doing this. It was all but gone an hour later when I went to pick up the little miss at pre-school.

Most of my time the last ten days has been devoted to trainings. I completed my Incident Command System (ICS) trainings at level 300 & 400 over a 5 day span. This system puts together a comprehensive framework for organizing people and positions during an emergency incident. This allows all of the different agencies to play together nicely, and actually get something accomplished.

(Wildlfire rig by KeyPenFD) This past weekend was dedicated to WASART’s Field Response training. I brought 6 goats for the trainees to handle. For the most part the goats behaved really well. The original idea was to turn the goats loose in an arena and have them catch and load the goats back into the trailer. Instead I brought the animals out and they got to hold them and walk them around before we loaded them back up. Not really the best for real life evacuation situations, but at least they have actually touched a goat now. I also gave my Power Point presentation on Biosecurity. I had 30 minutes for 20 slides, and I felt like I was on fast forward through the entire thing. My biggest concern was that at the end I asked for questions and nobody had any. Either I covered it so completely they didn’t have any, or I talked too fast and they missed most of it. I’ll have to wait for the review forms to find out.

Sunday I stayed home and caught upon all of the laundry, dishes, and farm chores that have slid by until now. Tomorrow is our anniversary. I suppose I had better find a card or something….

This post is a mish-mash of things that have been keeping us hopping lately.

It is spring and that means busy on a farm. Welcome to our first kid of the season. He would like to have some friends to play with, but for now he gets us.

Howdy Grover!

This puts us back on the milking schedule. Hopefully every 12 hours, but sometimes it swings a bit one way or the other.

I have also been putting in some serious time with the Washington State Animal Response Team. I have been a part of this organization for several years. It has done a lot of growing since I started, and we are revamping some of our training curriculum to reflect that expansion.

Wall of WASART jackets.

I have been tasked with developing the “Biosecurity” section of the field response training program. No, this does not involve “Weapons of Mass Destruction”, well, not unless you are a germ. My WMDs include disinfectants, good hygiene practices, and some common sense. (That last one is the hardest to come by. If I could only figure out how to put that in a box, I’d have my first million inside of a week!)

This project has prompted me to figure out how to use the Power Point program in my Office software. It is kind of fun, once I can find the right series of buttons to make it do what I want. I have to finish off adding in the photos today. Then it gets a final inspection, and off to the printer for inclusion in the training packets! Next weekend is the training, so I will see how well it is received.

Hay helper!

Of course things on the farm keep on moving. I have some excellent help. At times it is help, other times, well… not so much.

My sweet husband has this problem. He has an addiction. He is addicted to plants, in particular, the odd ones he finds at farmer’s markets. Thankfully, this is only a problem when we run out of room on the deck for us to sit. He brought this lovely gem home with another in deep purple. I’ll have to go find the tag to let you know what they are, but these actually seem to glow, especially in the evening light. We have the squash and pole beans started in peat pellets in the window, along with some herbs. Hopefully they will be ready to hit the remodeled garden in a few weeks. Just about the time the next batch of baby goats are due to hit the ground!