You are currently browsing the monthly archive for June 2014.
While I was up in Port Angeles running a verification test for Lucky Star Farm, this was going on at home.
Em & Dad made the run to the lumber store for the framing timbers and other essentials this morning. Cody had the day off and came over in the afternoon to lend Dad a hand digging holes and setting posts.
Apparently some of the holes had to be re-dug because of some plumbing pipes. Thankfully none of the pipes were cracked/broken to create a new lawn irrigation system during the digging!
I am impressed with the string system to keep everything close to square. (Well, as square as it can be with a LaMancha wether plucking at it.)
The guys were setting in the last post about the time I got home. This building will be closer to square and plumb than anything else we have built ourselves so far.
I heard rumors that the work crew will be back tomorrow afternoon for the next stage of construction.
In order to give us some room to build the new buck
fortress palace, we needed to move a few fence lines around. The boys needed to stay secure at the same time, since we didn’t want to spend the better part of the day chasing them back home.
We had an old chain link kennel that we used if we needed to keep one of the animals separate for a few minutes. We expanded it and are using it as part of a temporary fence and the entrance gate. Once we had the front fenced off, the Anatolian wasn’t too sure about the new pen. It was a lot smaller than he liked and it made him a bit nervous. He pretty much gave in once the back part of the old fence came down and he had access to about three times the amount of space.
This is one of the corner posts we put in 10 years ago. It was just part of a fir tree that we cut into logs to use as fence posts. The fence panels were only things that were holding it up! The chickens are having a field day picking the rotten log apart and snacking on the grubs!
Here it is all ready for the next phase. I think Eric will bring in the tractor and try to level out the ground as much as possible. There are some pretty good ruts along the former fence lines. I’m thinking about ways to mitigate that problem for next fall. I am looking at installing some of that weed block type fabric and then covering it with gravel around the areas that will get the most traffic. It looks like it does a pretty good job around the high traffic areas in horse stables. I’m all for avoiding large mud holes if I can.
While we still have plenty of work to do, Otis is enjoying the new pasture space and a new spool. You can see the line in the grass in front of the spool where the old fence came out.
The two Old Girls get a spacious shed and pasture. The Milkers get the new barn with a nice-sized pasture and access to the woods. What do the Boys get?
A run down shack tucked under a fir tree. And that has been pretty much torn apart by a horned meat goat who was a previous inhabitant. Actually, that stupid goat did more damage to buildings and fences in his year here than all of the rest of the boys combined have done in 11 years. He was a stupid animal. He stood and whacked his head on the fence pole for hours day after day.
Anyhow, I digress.
It is time to bring the boys up to the standard of living that they would like to become accustomed to. First things first. Enlarge their pasture to the back perimeter fence, nearly tripling the size. Upgrade the separating fence to cattle panels to keep them on their side. (Very important during breeding season!)
This is the progress we made for the day. Eric got the poles dug and set. We installed the new fence panels.
The deconstruction of the current isolation/boarding/holding pen is underway. It will be rebuilt with slightly different dimensions once the new buck barn is built. We did manage to get all of the 2×4 kennel mesh fence down and out of there tonight. Somebody put A LOT of wire twists on there to keep it securely affixed to the other fencing.
Tomorrow is more fence fiddling for the continued containment of the boys and dog during this adventure. I’ll keep you posted!
We have several pastures for our animals. The “Old Goats” pasture was one of the first ones we built. It has two goats in it and they could not keep up with the grass growth. It got so tall I couldn’t see them.
I really didn’t want to waste all of that grass and just mow it down. We have found that if we keep it trimmed back, it doesn’t go dormant as quickly since it still thinks it needs to make seeds.
So I called in some reinforcements. Meet the Pasture Management Crew on loan from my friend in Puyallup. Jaws, Coconut, and A Ewe To Be Named Later are here to eat, and they are doing a fine job.
They are ewenion workers of course.
Picante is the herd referee. Each animal seems to have a job in our herd. Hers is to settle arguments. Sometimes she’s calm about it, other times, I think she trained with some mafia types.
She is a softie for scratches, especially from the little kids. We had the sidewalk chalk out and all of us kids were drawing on the rubber stall mats in the barn. Apparently large chalk sticks have excellent scratching surfaces. She could not have cared less that she was starting to look like a giant Easter egg. Someone was rubbing her face and neck in all of the itchy spots, and it felt sooo good. The color stayed on for several days. Our grandson wanted to “Go color number 2 goat again, please” on his next visit.
I’m pretty sure that none of the other goats gave her any grief over her unusual coloring for those few days. Not that they didn’t think it was odd, but it wasn’t worth a fight to make fun of her.